I tried to stir the imagination and enthusiasms of students to take risks, to do what they were most afraid of doing, to widen their horizons of action.." - James Broughton
Marc Ó Riain
Marc O Riain, B.Des, MIDI.
President of the Institute of Designers in Ireland,
Director, Irish Design 2015
Editor, Iterations Journal
- University of Limerick, 1989-1990
- National College of Art and Design 1990-1994
- MSc Department of Architecture, University College Cork, since 2009-2012 (Pass by transfer)
- PhD Candidate, Department of Architecture, University College Cork, 2013
- Passive House Designer 2012
- 4th Year Coordinator, Interior Architecture.
- Architectural Researcher
Born in Waterford, Marc graduated from the National College of Art and Design in 1994. Since then he has worked in Irelands leading practices. He is considered one of Irelands leading Interior Architects having won both Irish Design Grand Prix and World Interiors Award with practice teams.
- International A' Design Award 2014 Platinum
- International World Architecture Festival (Inside) Highly Commended
- International Architizer Award Finalist
- International SBID Award Finalist
- International Core 77 First runner up Award
- IDI Grand Prix and IFI World Interiors Award.
- 2012 IDI Sustainability Award Winner-Zero2020 Energy.com
- 2012 IDI Interior Architecture Award High Comm. Zero2020 Energy.com
- 2009 IDI Sustainability Award -High Comm. Cork City Partnership Offices
- 2009 IDI Accessibility Award -High Comm.Cork City Partnership Offices
- 2007 IFI World Interior Design Award -Winner-The Cliffs of Moher
- 2007 IDI Grand Prix in Design Award -Winner
- 2007 IDI Commercial Interior Architecture Award -Winner-Maternity Hospital
- 2007 IDI Exhibition Design Award -Winner-Cork University Maternity Hospital
- 2007 IDI Office Design Award -High Commendation-Ernst & Young, Cork
- 2005 RIAI Award-Cork University Maternity Hospital
- 2006 RIAI Southern Area Exhibition-St. John’s Central College.
- 2006 RIAI Southern Area Award -Cork University Maternity Hospital
- 2005 IDI Interior Design Award -Prayer Room,
- 2005 RIAI Southern Area Exhibition Award -Cork Mansion House Practice
- 2009 Director RUA Architects
- 2008 Associate Director, Henry J Lyons Architects
- 2003 Associate, O’Riordan Staehli Architects
- 1995 Interior Designer, Access Building Design
Zero2020, the low energy retrofit and renovation of a precast concrete building Exploring site nZEB energy retrofit in Precast grid optimized low rise ‘60s buildings.
O Riain,Singapore March 2014.
DESIGN AND PERFORMANCE OF AN EXTERNAL BUILDING ENVELOPE RETROFIT SOLUTION FOR A GRID OPTIMISED CONCRETE STRUCTURE: A CASE STUDY
P.O’Sullivan, F. Delaney, M. O’Riain, T. Clancy, J. O’Connell and D. Fallon
‘Zero2020-A Low energy Commercial Retrofit’, O Riain, Delaney, O’Sullivan, Clancy.
Better Building Conference, Dublin. April 2013
‘Zero2020-A Low energy Commercial Retrofit’, O Riain, Delaney, O’Sullivan,
“Energy Efficient Retrofit of Buildings” Conference, Dublin. March 2013
‘The Impact of product use within the context of low energy use buildings’, AIARG, O’Riain, O Driscoll,
De Eyto 2013
‘Practice what you preach’, O Riain, Delaney, O’Sullivan,
See the light Conference, 2012
‘Towards An Integrated Framework for Achieving Net Zero Energy for Commercial Buildings ’
Hyde, Rajapaksha, O Riain, Silva ASA2012: The 46th Annual Conference of the Architectural Science Association (formerly ANZAScA) - Building on Knowledge: Theory and Practice. 14th - 16th November 2012
- President Elect Institute of Designers in Ireland 2015
- Regional Coordinator for Irish Design 2015
- Board Member of Year of Design 2015
- Board Member of the Institute of Designers in Ireland 2012-13
- Chairman of Design Week Cork 2005-2009
- President of NCAD Students Union 1993-4